Thursday, July 18, 2013

New boat new skills

I have owned my Albacore for nearly a year and I'm beginning to get to grips with sailing a faster, heavier dinghy but I didn't expect to be learning new maintenance skills but I recently developed a new skill.
When returning from a very pleasant evenings sails I was packing away the boat when I noticed some delamination on the inside of the hull near to the mast step, never a pleasant thing to find. The next day I took a Stanley knife to it and cut out the top layer of veneer in the offending area to discover that the lower layers were intact if a bit soft in one spot.
Fortunately we are currently experiencing some very hot weather and it was not long before the area was nice and dry. While I was sorting this out my Dad created a strip of oak veneer using his bench saw. 

Next I had to cut and fit the veneer and glue it in place with a suitable glue, leaving it overnight with some pressure on the surface. I was quite pleased with the result. 

Next I had to sand it down and then apply a couple of coats of west epoxy resin to complete the repair. I looks pretty good.

No comments: