Sunday, March 30, 2008

How to get a fantastic Paint job


Wild Goose 002
Originally uploaded by snettbish
Now this is a lovely paint finish, my best yet! I knew that surface preparation is key and to be sure I did get a nice clean smooth surface to paint on to but I have discovered a secret to getting really lovely translucent gloss finishes.

I decided that I would try spray painting and bought a cheep spray gun. To make it work with the paint I had to thin the paint to get the right viscocity and I used International No3 thinners with International's Toplac paint.

The problem was that I found I didn't have enough room to spray correctly and I over sprayed and it started to run. So I had to recover the situation using a roller. The finish was ok, I still had a few runs but overall there was a quality of finish that I could only put down to the thinning of the paint.
I used Wet n Dry (400 grade) to get the surface smooth again and then applied another coat with the thinned paint with the roller. Then sanded again with 600 grade before a final coat again applied by roller. The end result is a lovely glass like finish. Sure there are a few spots where its not quite so good but overall it is very satisfying.

I haven't given up on the idea of spray painting but it seems you need a good deal of elbow room to do a good job. I'll have to see what I can do about that next year.

No comments: