Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The last Sail of the day-dreaming sailor! For a while anyway.


The last Sail for a few weeks at least as the Coronavirus brings a lockdown to the country to slow the spread of the infection.
I don't know why but I decided to use the camera for this solo sail and I'm glad I did. It was a really lovely time on the water with enough wind to get planing off wind and not too much to make upwind any more than slightly challanging.
I wear a Fitbit tracker and I have noticed that when I'm sailing my heart rate is almost continuously in the 'Cardio' region for pretty much the whole time I'm on the water - and its such fun that you don't really know your exercising normally until the day after when your wonder why your legs ache!
What I really find so great is that there is often this kind of inner stillness after sailing - its almost on the parr of a religious/spiritual experience and I guess in many ways it is. It can be a truely immersive experience - in more ways than the obvious! Immersed in creation - the wind and water - the balance of forces - the movement and coordination of body and boat - the concentration that drives out every other thought until you are one entity moving across the water with the soul aim of speed and course responding to the elemental changes.
I can't wait to get back on the water. Until then I will have to practice sailing in my mind - visualising every detail. I won't get all the health benifits but what else can a day dreaming sailor do when the water is forbidden?

No comments: